HG and Short Term Disability Claims

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

HG and Short Term Disability Claims

Postby srankin » Sep 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Hello,

I am 15 weeks pregnant. From the start, I was plagued with weight loss but Diclegis was able to take the edge off. My weight loss stabilized, but I was still vomiting several times per day. Slowly, the Diclegis worked less and less. It was back to the point of me vomiting 20+ times a day. I went to the ER for fluids and was prescribed Zofran. Now, the Zofran has alleviated the physical symptom of vomiting, but has been replaced with intense diarrhea. This is still paired with the debilitating nausea. I am unable to stand or even sit up for more than 5 minutes at a time. Mentally, I am cracking. I cannot care for my 2 year old, I cannot even care for myself.

I am a teacher. So far, I have missed 4 consecutive days of work and no signs of this letting up. Has anyone had a short term disability claim approved without several hospitalizations? I have lost 10 lbs this week and still cannot perform any part of my duties as a teacher.

Thank you in advance,

Fletcher
srankin

Re: HG and Short Term Disability Claims

Postby smatarazzo » Oct 04, 2016 11:45 am

Hi there,

I am so sorry for your experience and what you are going through. It is so discouraging to find something that seems to work only to have it stop working or cause other symptoms. I would continue to talk to your doctor and see what other options there are and continue to look for things that will help you feel better.

I am looking into submitting for short term disability as well if I get pregnant again soon (we are currently TTC our second) and I don't know why it wouldn't get approved if your doctor is in support. I would definitely talk to your HR department and see what they recommend, there should be something they can offer you as the alternatives aren't good options.

Keep us posted! I've found that the more you talk about it and are honest with what is happening, the more people can try to support you in this. It is definitely difficult, but you CAN do it! Focus on the end result and remember there will be a time when you feel good again!
smatarazzo

Return to Second Trimester HG