May I join?

Moms with HG in their 2nd trimester.

Moderators: JennyK, txmomma, Atsie, Cin

May I join?

Postby KimD514917 » Aug 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi there. I'm moving up from the 1st trimester, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I was diagnosed with HG at 8 weeks, and I'm now 13 weeks. Let me start by saying that I'm not your typical HG mommy. I had absolutely no morning sickness with my DS (who is 8-years old), and I had what I consider to be "normal" morning sickness with my DD (10 months old). This pregnancy, however, I've been terribly sick starting at about 6 weeks. This pregnancy was not planned, which makes it even harder to cope with the HG. I was on the pill and took it faithfully, yet it failed. And now I'm stuck suffering from this terrible condition, and I just don't understand why this is happening.

By 8 1/2 weeks I was hospitalized for the first time. After that my doctor started talking about doing the Zofran pump. Well, by the time they got me hooked up to it, I was already severely dehydrated and not doing well, so the pump didn't work too well initially. At about 10 or 11 weeks I ended up in the hospital again, this time for 4 days. They pumped me full of IV fluids, Reglan, Zofran, Phenergan, and potassium since my level was low. They let me go and we increased my Zofran pump. I still wasn't doing well and ended up back in the ER only 2 days after being discharged from the hospital. This time they agreed to let me go home after receiving IV fluids, and my visiting nurse coordinated home IV fluids with my doctor's office. I had a PICC placed this past monday, because my veins were shot and they couldn't get a good site in me.

So now I'm receiving home IV fluids 24/7. They have me on D5 lactated ringers at 125 ml/hr. Once a day I add a multivitamin into the bag of fluids. I called the office today to see if we're continuing or what the plan was, and they want to keep me on the IV fluids at least until my appt on the 18th. I have good days and bad days at this point. The Zofran has really helped with the vomiting. In fact, I haven't thrown up in several days. However, it doesn't take the nausea away, and I've been feeling so sick these days. Today was a pretty bad day for me. I managed to have some chicken soup and toast tonight, but my stomach is definitely feeling unsettled. I also take Phenergan as needed for severe nausea/vomitting, and the Phenergan definitely takes the edge off.

Anyway, I hate that we have to suffer from this terrible condition, but it's nice to know there are women out there that understand how I'm feeling. I want my life back. I want my body back. I want to be able to take a shower in the morning without having to unhook lines from everywhere. I want to be able to roll over in bed without having to be careful not to pull my PICC out. My only comfort is in knowing that this won't last forever. Even if it DOES last the whole pregnancy, I only have to make it until February.

On a side note, I'm a nurse on a cardiac unit at a local hospital. I was originally out of work on bedrest due to bleeding early in the pregnancy. Then they let me go back to work on desk duty only. Then I was diagnosed with HG and had been hospitalized, and the doctor put me back on bedrest. My orders were, "no cooking, no cleaning, NOTHING." It's not easy to follow that with an active, very mobil 10-month old at home. However, I've had a lot of help from my DH and the rest of our family.
KimD514917
Welcomed Friend

Postby krisalis » Aug 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Welcome to the second tri... home of the halfway mark.

I'm sorry this pregnancy has been so rough on you, but I'm glad you found us. It's also good to hear that you are getting good care and have a supportive family. These things are so important.

Anyway, jump right in. It's nice to have someone else in the folder.
krisalis
HG Expert

Postby babygiggles04 » Aug 08, 2009 5:27 am

welcome! I hope the second TRI brings fluffy days for ya! :)
Mom to
Yariliz Angelie 2/1/1999 --- severe HG
Gabriela Ailsa 6/19/2002 --- severe HG
Kaleb Joel 3/3/2005 ----severe HG
Sarit Zoe 5/22/2007---- severe HG
Jahziel Eli 1/16/10----- severe HG (worse yet)
Expecting #6 EDD 9/17/14
babygiggles04
Been There Done That

Postby brewergogo » Aug 08, 2009 8:13 am

I've been in bed for over 65 days (I'm 16 1/2 wks) I have a PICC line and have been on Home IVs for 10 hrs a day since June 1st...that's 650 hours of fluids! Just last Tuesday I was told I could cut it down to 2 bags (5hrs/day)...woo hoo! :D

In any case, I know what you're going through. Fortunately for this pg, I've already gone through the trial and error period you're experiencing as a first timer. I know how annoying these stupid cords protruding from your arm are. I hate having to wrap them up just to take a bath once in a while. The damn thing itches sooooo bad I've nearly scratched most of my skin off.

So, take it from me who has been through this two times before without this much treatment...the discomfort a PICC line is so much more tolerable than the bloody raw puking that would take place due to dehydration every 7 -10 days. The constipation of taking zofran is something I can deal with as long as I'm not vomiting 10-15/day. If I have to sit home for 10 hrs/day on IVs so be it, I count my blessings it's at home and not in the ER or a hospital bed where I could catch the swine flu from some nurse not washing her hands. So, thank your doctors for all the treatment you're getting, because this condition is nothing to mess around with. Without it, you'd be much worse and it would take a lot longer to recover from once it ceases. You are going to get through this! :P And to end on a good note...it typically will start to get better at 17 weeks and really ease up by 20, so keep that in mind as your next milestones.

In the past week, i have eaten, drank fluids and left my house each day, I've gotten to sit in the yard with my kids and watch them play. I sat at our neighborhood pool yesterday and watched them swim and even went out to dinner with them a couple of days ago...even though I took one bite of what I ordered and spit it out... :lol: ) Somethings may never change!

Ask your doc for the scapolomine patch (transderm scop)...that has removed the nausea completely for me, as zofran doesn't.

Stay strong and because you have other kids, I know you know how fast time goes. It's going so slow right now, but this will all be remembered as a distant memory.

Hang in there!
Britta
brewergogo
Welcomed Friend

Postby Leah » Aug 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Welcome to second tri! Hope things get better for you you
Leah
Opinionated HGer

Re: May I join?

Postby cb0303 » Feb 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi! I know this is an old thread but my OB just put me on transderm-scop. I'm 17 weeks and concerned about withdrawl if I take it long term. Any advice/tips? Thanks
cb0303

Return to Second Trimester HG