HG Researchers Need Your Help! Genes and Risk Factors Study

See research studies underway and learn how you can participate.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Getting there!

Postby mfejzo » Nov 24, 2008 12:56 pm

This week marks the 9-year anniversary of the loss of my HG baby and I am thankful to all 700 of you HGers who have contacted me to participate in my study to find the cause and cure. We still need 300 more of you out there to participate and my goal is to get to that 1,000 mark by the 10th anniversary one year from now. Please help me reach this goal by partipating in my study if you had HG treated at least once with iv fluids. Please contact me at nvpstudy@usc.edu for more information (you can also find more info if you click on the sidebar where it says HER Foundation and USC Research).
Sincerely,
Marlena Fejzo, Ph.D.
nvpstudy@usc.edu
310-210-0802
mfejzo
Been There Done That

738 participants but we need 1,000!

Postby mfejzo » Jan 23, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi all,
We have 738 participants who have had HG in the study but we need 1,000. Please contact me at nvpstudy@usc.edu to participate in the study and bring us one step closer to understanding the cause and finding a cure! Every one of you is a critical piece of the puzzle!
Thank you to those of you who are already participating...we are getting there!
Marlena (2X HG survivor and professor of medical research at USC).
mfejzo
Been There Done That

794 HGERS BUT WE NEED 1,000-PLEASE HELP US FIND THE CAUSE!

Postby mfejzo » Apr 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi all,
We have 794 participants who have had HG eligible to participate in the study but we need 1,000. Please contact me at nvpstudy@usc.edu to participate in the study and bring us one step closer to understanding the cause and finding a cure! Every one of you is a critical piece of the puzzle!

You don't need to be currently pregnant, but need to have had HG with at least one iv fluid treatment to be eligible.
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Please help us find the cause and cure!

Postby mfejzo » Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi all,
We have 823 participants who have had HG eligible to participate in the study but we need 1,000. Please contact me at nvpstudy@usc.edu to participate in the study and bring us one step closer to understanding the cause and finding a cure! Every one of you is a critical piece of the puzzle!

PS You don't need to be currently pregnant, but need to have had HG with at least one iv fluid treatment to be eligible.

Also, please refer your normal friend controls-we are very behind on the friend controls-my current count is 279-we need 1,000 friends with normal/no nausea to participate too.

For more information about the study, click on the HER Foundation and USC Research icon on the sidebar.
mfejzo
Been There Done That

HG STUDY NEEDS YOU NOW!

Postby mfejzo » Sep 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Just an update that we now have 882 eligible HGers and 308 Controls for the HG study. If you have had HG in the past, or have HG now, please sign up for our study. If you are already in the study, please refer your friend controls to participate.

Hyperemesis Gravidarum Study Still Needs Participants!

Hyperemesis Gravidarum is severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy requiring iv hydration and/or nutritional support. This is a study to identify epidemiologic and genetic factors involved in Hyperemesis Gravidarum. There is no cost to you or travel needed to participate in this study.

You will be asked to
1) sign a consent form
2) answer a risk factor and outcomes survey,
3) submit a saliva sample for DNA analysis, and
4) identify an unaffected friend with at least 2 pregnancies that went beyond 27 weeks to participate in the study as a control.

If you have had extreme nausea of pregnancy treated at least once with iv fluids for dehydration and are interested in participating, please e-mail Dr. Marlena Fejzo at nypstudy@usc.edu to determine eligibility.

We hope this study will bring us one step closer to finding the cause and cure for Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Thank you for your time and interest!

This study is run by Dr. Marlena S. Fejzo and Dr. T. M. Goodwin at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, is supported in part by the Intramural Research Program of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institute of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, and has been approved by the USC Institutional Review Board HS-06-00056.
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Postby jwinning221 » Oct 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Marlena, I just emailed you to join the study. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner, but I am now....
Jenn

2 Severe HG pgs and three beautiful angels.

"Don't tell me that I won't, I can. Don't tell me that I'm not, I am. Don't tell me that my master plan ain't comin' true. Don't tell me that I won't, I will. Don't tell me how to think and feel. Don't tell me 'cause I know what's real, what I can do" --Joss Stone "Free Me"
jwinning221
Devoted to You

HG study update-we still need your help!

Postby mfejzo » Nov 05, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi All,
Thank you all who have participated thusfar. We are beginning to publish from the survey and here is a link to a press release:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6A34VJ20101104

It is very important for the scientific and medical community to recognize that HG has a genetic and therefore biological component and is not all in our heads, and this article shows we are getting there! Other interesting findings will be coming out in the next few years, but to find the biological cause, we still need participants, especially controls for this study. Although I have 1155 eligible HGers, only a little over half have followed through all the way to sending in saliva samples and completing the survey. In addition, many have not referred friend controls and so far I only have 560 eligible control participants, who also have not all followed through. I'm begging you to please spread the word and refer as many of your non-HG friends as possible (at least 2 pregnancies with no weight loss or treatment for nausea, non-blood relatives between 18-50). More HGers are also welcome and needed since not all eligible cases have followed through. Thank you for your help in finding the cause and cure for HG! We can't do it without you! Please have potential participants email me at nvpstudy@usc.edu

Thank you!
Marlena
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Postby Purple Fungi » Nov 06, 2010 9:25 am

Thank you, Marlena, for all that you do.
~Elizabeth proud mom to Dirk born 1/29/2007 and Derek born 12/14/2008~
Blogspot: http://thedoubleds.typepad.com/the_double_ds/
Purple Fungi

Postby mia1976 » Nov 06, 2010 1:12 pm

I am willing to participate. I had only mild-moderate HG though and occasionally needed IV treatment from the ER. Never had a PICC, home health care, TPN, etc. Is that OK? I'm sure I can get a friend for the control. Do you need more controls?
Mia

Mommy to Ella (12/18/2008) and Kira (5/26/2011). Moderate HG both times 5 weeks until delivery.
mia1976
Been There Done That

Postby mfejzo » Nov 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes we need more controls and yes it sounds like you can participate because you had IV fluid treatment. Please email me at nvpstudy@usc.edu so I can get you officially enrolled.
Thank you!
Marlena
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Please help!

Postby mfejzo » Nov 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Eleven years ago, the day before thanksgiving, I lost my baby girl to HG. I have been working ever since to find the cause and cure, but I can't do it without your help. We need everyone who has had HG and has been treated with IV fluids to participate and refer as many of their unaffected friends as possible to email me at nvpstudy@usc.edu. We can't find the cause until we have at least 1,000 cases and 1,000 control friends.
Thank you for your help!
Sincerely,
Marlena
nvpstudy@usc.edu
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Still in need of participants?

Postby CamiHouse » Feb 15, 2011 6:11 pm

I am currently about 14 weeks pregnant with my 4th pregnancy and second diagnosed HG Pregnancy (I had 2 very early miscarriages 6 & 7 weeks - both of which I had severe nausea, but miscarried too early to need treatment.) With my daughter I need 2L IVs about 1 time/week, with this pregnancy they have trained me to administer my own IVs at home and I am receiving 2-3 Liters daily (w/ multivatimins, B6 Potassium, Reglan etc.) through a PICC line.

It looks like your study may be complete, but if you do need more participants I would be more than willing to be a part.
CamiHouse

Postby mfejzo » Feb 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Yes I still need participants! Please email me at the study email address:
nvpstudy@usc.edu

Also, we are very behind on friend controls (participants without HG), so please encourage all your non-HG friends to participate as well, as that is what is holding the study up right now.

Thank you,
Marlena
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Postby Mumsdream » Apr 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Oh this is so wonderful of you to do mefjzo! I hope you get the controls. I am sure you could, and likely have posted on regular mum sites, pregnancy sites, have you tried maternity nurses, funnily enough they may be very interested in taking part. Most have had babies, and have a underlying interest in pregnancy, research, like myself.

I live in the UK, other that would have been delighted to have participated. :)
Mumsdream
Welcomed Friend

Please help spread the word!

Postby mfejzo » Apr 03, 2011 1:22 pm

That's a great idea. US participants, please spread the word through your mommy sites and to your ob nurses, etc. We need 1,000 controls (no HG) and are at about 600. Have them email me at nvpstudy@usc.edu
Thank you!
Marlena
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Postby Mumsdream » Apr 03, 2011 2:09 pm

:)
Last edited by Mumsdream on Aug 07, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mumsdream
Welcomed Friend

Re: HG Researchers Need Your Help! Genes and Risk Factors S

Postby mfejzo » Jul 16, 2012 10:17 pm

The HER Foundation has generously provided $20,000 to support the HG family study, but we need at least $20,000 more to complete the study. To help raise the money for this project (all funds raised go to the study), I have created an account at Petrish.org with incentives and rewards for donations. Please check it out at:
http://www.petridish.org/projects/what-causes-nausea-and-vomiting-of-pregnancy/edit
Together we will find a cure!
Thank you for your support!
Sincerely,
Marlena 2xHG survivor and HG researcher at UCLA

Also, don't forget to sign up for the study at nvpstudy@usc.edu!
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Previous

Return to Research Opportunities