Medi-Cal in Sacramento

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Medi-Cal in Sacramento

Postby purplespirit79 » May 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Does anyone here have state medi-cal.. If so do you know if they cover in home iv's or picc lines for severe HG??? DO you have any positive experiences with treating HG with state medi-cal???
I'm currently TTC with my loving boyfriend. This would be my first child his 2nd. I'm looking for people that can be there for support when my severe HG creeps up on me again and I feel like it's never gonna end... If you live close that would be awesome but if not that's ok too :) I"m 30 years young a full time online student and just a good person.
purplespirit79
Welcomed Friend

Postby aaronsmommy » May 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Medi-Cal covers home health for hg. How easy it will be to get it and who the home health company is depends a bit on where you are located, since I think Sacramento has managed care medi-cal so it will be locally run (we don't have this yet where I am) but in general it is covered.

Zofran is a bit challenging with Medi-Cal, since they typically only cover about 12 pills in a fill, but some people get around that by getting the discounted generic at Costco. What Medi-Cal covers at the pharmacy seems to change all the time, so who knows, today it might be covered without a limit (but then again, tomorrow maybe it won't)?
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby purplespirit79 » May 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for the response... I wouldnt be able to take pills... The dr told me i would need in home iv's or if that didnt work a zofran pump or a picc line......My hg is really severe...Cant even keep down water.....I've been looking everywhere and dont know where to find this information at........Was thinking about maybe moving to a smaller city like El dorado county just because we would get more benefits and its only about 30 minutes from me........
I'm currently TTC with my loving boyfriend. This would be my first child his 2nd. I'm looking for people that can be there for support when my severe HG creeps up on me again and I feel like it's never gonna end... If you live close that would be awesome but if not that's ok too :) I"m 30 years young a full time online student and just a good person.
purplespirit79
Welcomed Friend

Postby aaronsmommy » May 01, 2011 7:04 pm

I would think you would probably want some pills at the very beginning for preemptive therapy (there is a bunch of information about this in the preparation folder). This may make a big difference in your hg.

Do you have a doctor where you are now? They should know about how to order home health. It is covered regardless of where you are in CA.

It looks like El Dorado County will have managed care Medi-Cal very soon too (we are getting it here this summer).
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby purplespirit79 » May 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Well I have been pregnant 4 times and all 4 times whether it was reglan, zofran, ginger ect. none of them worked for me. What website are you going to to find out which counties carry which benefits under medi-cal?? Since I wont be able to work for my pregnancy would I qualify for any sort of social security or disability that you know of? I would think it would be considered a medical disability.
purplespirit79
Welcomed Friend

Postby aaronsmommy » May 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm only looking up which counties have managed care. No matter where you are in CA, Medi-Cal covers home health, it is just a different way of going about getting approved, so might be easier, or harder, but your doctor does that.

Preemptive therapy means taking medications BEFORE you get sick. If you get sick before you miss your period, you could even try taking medication beginning when you ovulate, so you catch it before the symptoms start. I can't say it worked great for me either, but it did delay the onset of the worst symptoms and it is certainly worth a try.

If you have disability insurance, then you would probably be covered for hg. Most people employed in CA pay in to the CA state disability program. Look on your paycheck to see if there is a deduction for CA EDD, if there is, then you would be covered for hg (CA EDD approves this without much question as long as your doctor signs the forms). With CA state disability, they base your benefits on the prior quarter's income, so if you are new to CA, or new to your job (and either didn't have a job, or didn't pay to CA EDD at your prior job), you would want to be careful that the timing was right to collect benefits (you can look at the CA EDD website to help you figure out the right timing).
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment