Tricare Standard

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Tricare Standard

Postby ashvlgrl » May 14, 2008 9:34 am

Does anyone know anything about Tricare Standard and their stance on HG? I'm 7w2d with twins and absolutely miserable. I'm on Zofran and it only slightly decreases the amount of times I throw up in a day.

My OB has referred me to Matria for an IV (? i think) and a Reglan pump. Has anyone had any experience with Tricare Standard and Matria?

Thank you!
ashvlgrl

Postby Susannah » May 14, 2008 12:13 pm

Congratulations on your twins :lol: Sorry about the HG. It sucks!

I don't know anything about that insurance specifically. You could call your insurance and find out how much of matria's home care they cover.

I do know that many women here find matria's home care wonderfula nd they really help to advocate for you with your doc if needed.

I would make sure you are still going to be taking the zofran with the reglan pump. A combo of meds works best for most of us. If the reglan pump doesn't help, see about getting the zofran pump.
:hugs:

BTW how much zofran are you on? You can increase to 32mg per day. Also zofran often doesn't touch the nausea. So adding reglan, benadryl, unisom etc can help.

Also no meds will work very well when you aren't hydrated so hopefully the IVs will help stop the downward spiral.

Have you seen the sticky on zofran, unisom etc http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=32502
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby ashvlgrl » May 14, 2008 8:20 pm

I found out that Tricare Standard won't cover Matria at all. I've got to go on base tomorrow and see about switching to Tricare Prime. They said that with the HG and the twins that I'm definitely high risk and they'd refer me to MUSC (local great hospital) for everything.

I'm on 8mg of Zofran every 8 hours. I can't believe the didn't give me a higher dose after seeing me the day after i started the Zofran.

Hopefully they can help me on the base tomorrow. I'm not quite sure how I'll be able to sit there and wait, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thank you!
ashvlgrl

Postby Susannah » May 19, 2008 3:21 am

How did your visit go? Did you find a homecare company they were willing to work with? Can you switch insurance to the prime?
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » May 19, 2008 8:44 am

You should be able to find another home care company that can do a reglan or zofran pump and IVs for you. The pumps aren't usually quite as small or easy to use as the Matria ones, but it is the same idea at least.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Lil7Deb » May 19, 2008 11:27 am

If you get on prime I've got a way to override tricare's limitation on Zofran. Did you get them to cover home health care?
Deborah

Mom to Mackenzie (2002) and Collin (2005)
Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

Postby carybear » May 19, 2008 6:22 pm

OH my gosh! I hated the limitations on Zofran!!! but, they did cover EVERY ER visit I had! I never had to worry about it from them.
Definately get on Prime! it will save you SOOO much!
Good luck hon, let us know.
Luvs to all,
CaryAnn
carybear
Opinionated HGer

Postby ashvlgrl » May 20, 2008 6:43 pm

I am supremely impressed with the medical system on base at the moment. My husband all but carried me in to do the paperwork to switch to Prime. They then proceded to walk us from office to office to get everything taken care of. Then I went ahead and met with some sort of doctor person (I never now who's a doctor and who's not, but they all treat so...). After talking with him and letting him know what all my OB had said and tried to do he got me an immediate appointment with someone else there. I only had to wait a couple of minutes until a nurse came and walked me back to a treatment room where I was treated to a bag of lactated ringers, a shot of phenergan and then a slim-fast to make sure I could keep down some form of liquid nutrition. then they made another appointment for me for the next day for a repeat of the treatment. I went home with a prescription of phenergan to add to the zofran.

There does seem to be some home health that's covered with Tricare, but I have to wait until the 1st to get a referral.

So how do I get around the 15 pills/month of Zofran issue with Tricare? I just ran out. Eeek!

Thank you all so much for all of your support!
ashvlgrl

Postby ashvlgrl » May 20, 2008 7:51 pm

Oh yeah, and I had my first true OB appointment yesterday (5th visit and ultrasound, but first true OB visit). The gummy-babies were measuring a day ahead with perfect heartrates (170 and 167).

I've also talked to my boss and we're pretty much taking this one week at a time. Even with the Zofran and Phenergan it's hard to get much done. I tried to work today, but it didn't work out so well. I'll try again next week!
ashvlgrl

Postby ashvlgrl » Sep 16, 2009 12:23 pm

I ended up staying fairly miserable for the first 16 weeks or so. The nausea was tolerable for the majority of the rest of the pregnancy and vomiting was minimal. I never quite got over it, though. I stayed on the Zofran until the end of the pregnancy.

Tricare covered the Zofran after the doctor called in regarding it. I was never able to get home care, but I have heard of other people that were able to.

Good luck to everyone suffering with HG!
ashvlgrl

Other options..

Postby Purple298 » Dec 22, 2011 11:53 pm

I see that this discussion was from awhile ago but maybe this could help someone else. I am currently in my 7th month of pregnancy and have battled with severe HG the whole time. I have Tricare reserve select, they will not cover any home IV treatments for me so I've found other things that they do cover. Tricare pays all of my hospital visits so whenever I'm severely dehydrated I have simply gone to the ER and they give me a shot of phenegran and IV fluids, some Urgentcare facilities will do the IVs but not the phenegran. It's annoying but luckily we are close to the hospital and if you really need the fluids the insurance will cover it this way. I didn't have any limitations with the zofran however it did absolutely nothing for me, it actually caused severe headaches which made my vomiting worse. 25 mg of phenegran in suppository form has been the best treatment and Tricare covers that , my copayment is only $3.00. U can do zofran on top of the phenegran if it works for you, for me it was pointless. Suppositories suck but they enter your bloodstream quicker and I was told they're more concentrated. I definitely noticed quicker relief, even if it just gave me the power to hold down some liquids, my script said to take them every 6-8 hours as needed, I have to take it every four to five hours but the doctor said that it's fine however they make you very sleepy, at least they have for me but I rather that than being in constant agony. Along with this stick towhatever diet you're doctor recommends, pedialite and ensure shakes have helped me along the way.

I'm in the home stretch, it's been miserable but have faith you will get through this! I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! I hope this helps someone else out there!
Purple298

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment