New book on Hyperemesis

Volunteer your professional services, share fundraisers for HG & HER, and publicize HG to get the word out!

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme, annmarie

New book on Hyperemesis

Postby burtonburchell » Jul 14, 2010 8:05 am

Hi ladies :)

I'm in the process of writing a book called "Pregnancy is not an illness...but Hyperemesis is!"

It will be telling my story right from falling pregnant for the first time, my experience of the medical neglect I received, the road to recovery and falling pregnant again and suffering from the illness for the second time just one year later!

I'll be advertising this wonderful site and would like to include experiences from other ladies who have been through it (from mild cases to severe!) As I had no experience being in hospital!

I want this book to highlight the seriousness of HG and help others come to terms with the horror they have been through and how we can all be better prepared for future pregnancies and maybe just let people know they're not alone!

So I need your help - is there anyone on this site who would like to share their story? I'm looking for 200-500 words per story and would really appreciate stories which include:

- Hospitalisation, Drips and treatment (UK and internationally for comparisons)
- Abortion and loss due to Hyperemesis
- Post Traumatic Stress due to Hyperemesis
- Milder cases not involving hospitalisation

PLEASE get in contact with me if you feel comfortable with having your story in my book.

Thank you so much for your help.

Laura
3X HG Survivor and Author of 'Pregnancy is not an illness...Hyperemesis Gravidarum IS'. http://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-not-ill ... ncy+is+not

Changing the world. One nappy at a time.
burtonburchell

Book participation

Postby misscharliedear » Jul 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi Laura,

I would be more than willing to share my story with you and with other...

Charlie

*lost 4 babies to HG
misscharliedear

Postby KarenJ » Jul 15, 2010 11:18 am

Laura,

I would love to share my story, I have had three HG pregnancies with the first one undiagnosed. I am not much of a writer, but I would be more than happy to contribute :-).

Karen J.
ImageImage
KarenJ
Opinionated HGer

Postby burtonburchell » Jul 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks Charlie and Karen. I have Pm'd you both.

I've got 4 stories now - any one else willing to share their story??

Many thanks again,

Laura
3X HG Survivor and Author of 'Pregnancy is not an illness...Hyperemesis Gravidarum IS'. http://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-not-ill ... ncy+is+not

burtonburchell

Postby FinallyBlessed » Jul 17, 2010 11:03 pm

I'd be willing to share. Im on my 1st HG pregnancy/child. It's been pretty severe but I'm still pregnant right now. Might have more to add when I'm done baking in October:)
-Davina

Nadiyah 9/29/10 (severe HG from 5wks- delivery)

FinallyBlessed
Been There Done That

Postby burtonburchell » Jul 18, 2010 9:26 am

Hi Davina - I'm due my second exactly a month after you!

That's great - it'll be good to have an experience that is very fresh in the memory (not that HG can be forgotten)

burtonburchell@ymail.com is my email address. When you have something to send, throw it my way and I'll have a look.

Thank you so much for participating! x

burtonburchell

Postby memo40sa » Sep 02, 2010 3:43 am

Hi Laura,

I'd certainly like to contribute to your book. I terminated a pregnancy in June due to HG (4th pregnancy but I only have one child, a beautiful daughter, from my 3rd pregnancy). I'm also looking at writing about my experiences - probably an article on the emotional impact of HG (I'm also a Clinical Psychologist).

Regards,
Michelle
(South Australia)
memo40sa

Postby burtonburchell » Sep 03, 2010 9:33 am

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for being willing to share your experiences and knowledge! My email addy is a couple of posts above, could you send me an email with your story once it's finished?

Looking for stories between 250-500 words but happy to stretch that to 1000 words to allow you include other pregnancies.

If you need any help with structure or knowing what to include let me know. I can send you an email with topics I've asked everyone to include if you like. :)

Thanks again.

Laura xxx

burtonburchell

Postby EliseVT » Sep 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi!

I'd love to share. I had one m/c with undiagnosed HG, and my son Zachary with what they classified as "severe" HG along with a bunch of other illnesses.

It might be good to highlight how HG can effect other common pregnancy disorders as well. (My Gestational hypertension and gestational diabetes couldn't be controlled becasue of the amount of vomiting/dehydration due to HG)

I also had PTSD/PPD/PPOCD as well.

you can take your pick!

-Elise
Angel Baby - November 6/07
TougHGuy Zach - December 11/08
EliseVT
Devoted to You

Postby burtonburchell » Sep 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Elise - I've PM'd you. Thanks. ;)

TO ALL - Everyone who has already contacted me, could you send me a quick email to confirm you're still happy to go ahead and be part of this project? I need to set up a list as there are quite a few of us now.

Thanks.

Ps, I would still love some more stories from you lovely ladies - I have a lot of experiences that involve MC and Abortions - Could I have a few more ladies with happy endings too? And if anyone has any "funny" stories, please step forward. I'm trying to get a bit of everything!

Laura x

burtonburchell

Postby samarpana » Oct 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Are you still looking for stories? I would very much like to tell mine. However, mine is a loss / termination story. And it sounds like you have enough of that. However, I have quite vivid description on what the HG did to me. So it might be of interest to you. Let me know.....
samarpana
Been There Done That

Postby PallasAthena » Oct 17, 2010 9:32 am

If you're still looking for stories, I'm willing to share mine. Also, I'm gearing up for another pregnancy under very aggressive medical care. The way an HG should be handled. If you're interested in that, I can share about that as well.
My HG Blog: Knocked Up - Knocked Over

Gabriela Sofia: born 11/5/2007, moderate HG 1st and 3rd tri
DD#2 - So Far: Intense HG during the 1st tri, but with very aggressive & early treatment it cleared up in the 2nd tri. NVP returned at 28 wks, taking 8 mg Zofran+20 mg Nexium at night. Protocol on my blog & in the HG prep folder.
PallasAthena
Devoted to You

Postby SCUK » Oct 17, 2010 11:31 am

I would be willing to try to write my story so far, if you still need participants?

S x
SCUK
Welcomed Friend

Postby burtonburchell » Nov 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi Ladies, I'm still looking for more participants - especially those in UK and USA. I have a lot of loss/termination stories so looking for a little bit of variation.

Sorry I haven't got back to you all until now, on a personal note, I gave birth to my second HG son (Alex) on October 26th and although I am completely overjoyed to have him here, I am incredibly sleep-deprived (what with Alex being nocturnal and my 17 month old son running around in the day!)

So expect major delays on the book and I apologise in advance if it takes me a while to get back to people.

In future, if anyone wishes to include their story or would like to participate in the book, please email me at burtonburchell@ymail.com.

Laura

burtonburchell

Update

Postby burtonburchell » Dec 16, 2010 3:30 am

Hi Ladies, well as you know I had my second baby just over 7 weeks ago now and I am sorry to announce that the works on this book has been put on hold for the forseeable future.

I need to sort myself out, mentally, emotionally and physically. I had no idea how badly having two rough pregnancies 17 months apart would affect me and to be brutally honest with myself I'm struggling.

I will keep your stories on file, in a safe place and hopefully sometime Next Year I'll be in a better position to finish my book and have it completed.

Once again, I'm so sorry. I hate to leave work unfinished. But how on Earth can I talk about hope and light at the end of the tunnel when I feel more mentally damaged now than when I was actually going through the sickness?

Laura x

burtonburchell

Postby DivineLotus » Dec 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Totaly understandable. No worries. I sent you an email because I would like to share the story of my current pregnancy. I'm writing it as I'm going along.

Take care!
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Postby phaerelastra » May 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Hey, I just wanted to ask if you managed to finish your book.... I would love to read it if you have, or if you want some of those happy ending stories to add to it, I have one of those too. :) I respect what you're doing to bring the stories of the women here to light.... it bugs me that people roll their eyes at me and tell me I've made too much of my morning sickness, that every pregnancy is different and I've just had a rougher time than an ordinary pregnant woman. I beg to differ.... at 22 weeks, to still worry about getting sick all day long, I can assure people - it's not morning sickness anymore! LOL Hope to hear from you and that your little ones are doing well.

Kathleen Amelia, born by repeat c-section on 9/2/11. HG from 5-39 weeks, Zofran, Phenergan, Marinol.

1st HG baby, undiagnosed - Elizabeth-Anne Rose, born 2-9-99. Proud to have survived a teen pregnancy and made it to the other side, especially with HG.
phaerelastra
Been There Done That

Postby mlschultz » Jun 07, 2011 7:52 am

I am praying for your complete healing both physically and mentally. If you decide to complete your project, I would be more than happy to contribute to your book. I gave birth to my son Aidan in Jan 2009 after suffering severe HG.
mlschultz

Postby faithlove » Jun 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Laura!
I hope that you have no guilt or sadness that you had to hold off on your book work. Having two kids that close together (with or without HG!) doesn't allow much time or energy for the activities we love. But I am sure you will get back to it, and I think it is a great idea!

I have a 3 year old and 1 yr old (actually 15 months), both HG babies, and I am JUST now settling into a routine of work and life in these last few months. I think everyone on the boards can totally understand a hiatus (and for me and many others the PP depression is hard to shake when HG turns your life upside down).

I hope you do pick it back up at some point in the future. I do full time marketing for our business and would love to help you when the time comes. I have a non-hospitalization story if you ever want to hear it...it took a few months for me to fully re-hydrate after this last HG experience and I definitely should have went in and gotten IVs at the minimum. Zofran was my friend through both and I was bed-ridden for three months with both. AND both my beautiful girls were born at home, GREAT experiences after the HG went away!
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby Gravid Puker » Jun 21, 2011 2:46 pm

When you are ready to complete your book, I would love to contribute my story.

We are thinking of you! :)
Gravid Puker

Next

Return to HG Awareness & Activism