Once HG, always HG?

Discuss the triumph or heartache of not having more children, and the struggle to make that decision.

Moderators: JennyK, nomore, dwtegli

Once HG, always HG?

Postby reh » Oct 20, 2013 11:06 am

So, once you have had an HG pregnancy, are you guaranteed another if you choose to have more children? Don't think I want more, as we have three beautiful girls keeping me busy, but I like to know the facts. I had moderate HG with my last daughter, and am wondering if I would have HG again, and worse, if we went for baby number four.
"...it may be that to eat and be eaten are the same thing in the end. My wisdom tells me that this is probably so. We are all made of the same stuff, remember, we of the Jungle, you of the City. The same substance composes us - the tree overhead, the stone beneath us, the bird, the beast, the star - we are all one, all moving to the same end...Bird and beast and stone and star - we are all one, all one...Child and serpent, star and stone, we are all one..." - The Hamadryad
reh

Re: Once HG, always HG?

Postby dwtegli » Oct 20, 2013 11:32 am

It's certainly not guaranteed, but from what I've observed, yes you will have it again. However, I've also seen where going into a pregnancy knowing that you will get sick, and being proactive with taking meds and having a protocol in place has made it a bit easier to control.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby aaronsmommy » Oct 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Studies have shown anywhere from a 50-80% chance of having it again. Although they haven't looked at it specifically, but it seems that people on the more severe end of the spectrum have a higher chance of recurrence.

It can be milder, or it can be worse, it can last longer, or it can go away faster, and any combination of those, and of course you can't tell what you are going to get until you are already pregnant.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby reh » Oct 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for the replies! That was the impression I got...a "most likely" kind of thing.
"...it may be that to eat and be eaten are the same thing in the end. My wisdom tells me that this is probably so. We are all made of the same stuff, remember, we of the Jungle, you of the City. The same substance composes us - the tree overhead, the stone beneath us, the bird, the beast, the star - we are all one, all moving to the same end...Bird and beast and stone and star - we are all one, all one...Child and serpent, star and stone, we are all one..." - The Hamadryad
reh

Return to No more for me!?