Surrogacy Poll

Share your questions about and experiences with adoption or surrogacy pregnancy alternatives.

Moderators: Atsie, caleighbelle47

Surrogacy Poll

Postby mfejzo » Nov 06, 2007 12:09 am

Hi. My twin girls via surrogacy following a disastrous HG pregnancy, are now 6 years old and I am so grateful every day. As I am running the genetic study of HG and am on a quest to figure out the cause of HG, I was wondering if those of you who also pursued surrogacy could answer these 3 questions re your surrogate pregnancies, which may help us understand HG better:

1. How many eggs and embryos did you produce in 1 cycle?

2. Were you nauseous during the egg stimulation process?

3. How was your surrogate's pregnancy with respect to nausea (please state whether with singleton or multiples?

Thanks for your time!

Marlena
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Postby Atsie » Nov 11, 2007 8:25 pm

This was stickied in hopes that people would see it and add input.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby IslandDreamer » Dec 20, 2008 8:52 am

Marlena, would you want those who did IVF to answer the first two questions?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby mfejzo » Dec 20, 2008 11:54 am

Yes, I hadn't thought of that-that would be great-thanks!
M
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Re: Surrogacy Poll

Postby DoneYet? » May 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Egg donation cycle 32 follies 28 eggies

Egg donation cycle Bloated and extremly hungry but no real nausea

3. How was your surrogate's pregnancy with respect to nausea (please state whether with singleton or multiples?

I was the surrogate and that was a fluffy pregnancy for the most part :D
Blue 16 my babe
Brown 13 my love
Pink 2 my princess
All fluffy pregnancies, til the twinkies bornstill 6/26/09 severe HG
DoneYet?
Been There Done That

Postby mfejzo » Jun 01, 2009 10:15 am

Thank you for answering the poll. I have a few questions to clarify your answers if you don't mind?
1. Did you ever have an HG pregnancy or you are a surrogate for someone who had HG?
2. How old were you when you did the follicle stimulation cycle?
3. Did you produce all mature follicles in one cycle?
Thank you for your time!
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Postby Kathyaus » Aug 31, 2014 12:12 am

I thought I might add a twist to this question. I have had two pregnancies via IVF using my own gametes. One singleton (1993)with what I would describe as mild HG or severe normal pregnancy sickness. Then twin pregnancy in 1997 with severe hyperemesis,hospitalised for several weeks, IV meds. Luckily resolved at 16weeks. Now the twist two years ago I had a donor gamete pregnancy, lost15% body weight 2x admissions for IV fluids Zofran and predisolone. Luckily resolved at 14weeks. Crazy me I seem to get HG amnesia I am nearly6weeks pregnant with donor gametes again vomiting started 51/2 weeks. I have been on estrogen and progesterone support with no nausea associated. During my stim cycles I did not experience nausea. My estrogen and progesterone support end at 12 weeks but the nausea and vomiting continued till 14weeks. My paternal grandmother had Severe HG. I was 29 first pregnancy, 33 second pregnancy,49 third pregnancy and 50 this one.
Kathyaus

Postby mfejzo » Aug 31, 2014 2:36 pm

Thank you for this interesting information regarding your pregnancies. Do you have any paternal aunts or cousins with HG? It would be great to have you in my family study. If you are interested, please contact me at nvpstudy@usc.edu
Sincerely,
Marlena
mfejzo
Been There Done That

Postby stanfordash » Sep 02, 2014 12:50 am

11 eggs, all fertilized but only 6 embryos survived to Day 5. Later genetic testing revealed that only 2 of the embryos were viable.

Stimulation, no; down regulation, yes. I was very nauseated and vomited several times during down regulation, i.e. the month of birth control pills prior to stimulation. This is hardly surprising for an HG-prone woman, as birth control pills mimic pregnancy, but it was still shocking to me that a common little birth control pill could make me so sick--yep, our bodies really do react differently to hormones than most women's bodies. It was confirmation that surrogacy was the right way for us to go instead of trying pregnancy again.

During the actual stimulation I felt fine. I got really nauseated again with the HCG trigger shot, though, and then the nausea was really bad right after the egg retrieval (I assume because of the anesthesia). It lasted about 3 days. They talk about women being able to return to work the day after egg retrieval but I was still tired, weak, and nauseated for a couple more days. I watched TV and lived on soda and potato chips--these are not normal things for me.

Singleton pregnancy--she is currently 8.5 weeks along and she feels great, which seems so bizarre, but also great!

A bit more info about us: I am 32 years old, we had one child through an HG pregnancy, lost the next pregnancy to HG, and then turned to surrogacy. It was hard to get used to the idea, but once I began to think of surrogacy as a way to keep my babies safe, I felt good about it, and much more so when we met our truly ideal surrogate. We chose to implant only one embryo at a time to reduce the risk of pregnancy complications. The first implantation did not result in a pregnancy so we did genetic testing on the remaining embryos and implanted one that was viable, and it took! Fingers crossed now at 8.5 weeks.
stanfordash

Return to Adoption & Surrogacy